Monday, July 27, 2009

10 steps forward, 5 steps back...

SO! Ever see your horse do something that you wish you didn't? On Sunday it was in the 80's, so I only rode for a little bit, and just worked on collection at the walk. I REALLY needed to use the restroom, so I gave her to my trainer while I ran for it. When I got back, I decided I was WAY to hot, and asked if she wanted to ride her for a little bit. Guess what she did? She spooked. My trainer said it was "fun" and that it wasn't hard to get her to stop, BUT from my point of view it did not look like fun at all! A little kid and his tiny dog were running past, and that was what she spooked at. I FELT SO GOOD riding her!! Now I'm back to being nervous. Sigh. I'm such a loser!!

After her spook we all went outside and worked on building trails behind the barn. We have a little loop built that lets you ride down the road, then do the loop and come back up the barn. It will take A LONG time before Denali can go on trails. She gets freaked out in trees when you lead her, I can only imagine what a trail ride will be like.

It's going to be over 90 tomorrow. Little riding will be happening the next few days. I live in Seattle. This is not what I'm use to!!!

3 comments:

SprinklerBandit said...

Don't let her psyche you out too much. Some horses are pretty smooth to ride when they spook. Izzy's really pretty easy, now that I'm more or less in riding shape. Her mother (an OTTB, but don't let that phase you) was the most agile spooker I've ever seen. Hopefully, Denali is more like Izzy.

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

Thanks!! I needed that. I've ridden bigger, harder spooks than what she can give out. I'm in better shape now, so I should be able to do better!!

Anna said...

yeah, I have ridden bigger spooks than what Babe has doled out to me, too (well, except this last one), but it can be scary!

I am glad to know I'm not the only one who has potentially a decade to work on de-spooking before trails are an option!