Sunday, September 20, 2009

Denali of Troy

That might just be her show name if we ever make it there! Thanks Anna for the idea!! :)

Today was a long day. I went out to volunteer at the horse rescue near Seattle. If you're in the market for an amazing horse check out www.safehorse.org. They are an amazing group of individuals and I admire all of the work they put into everything. We worked on winterizing the farm. Lots of work done and a TON more to go! We're having an adoption event on October 4th. There is a TB there named Cedar who I would have home in a heartbeat if I wanted my husband to divorce me. She's amazing! I can't wait for her to get her own girl or boy!

ANYWAY! I went to the barn to ride Denali since she did so well yesterday. Got her out, groomed her, and got everything ready to ride. I put the saddle on, and went to tighten the girth....holy shit! She blew up! The poor things belly is still swollen. I guess after riding yesterday it caused more swelling? Of course I couldn't let her get away with flipping out so I put the saddle on and tightened it enough to stay on, but not cause her pain. I was afraid she'd remember that freaking out = no work. We lounged for about half an hour. The vet said to work her, but I left him a message about the swelling when we were done. If this is going to take months to heal I'm going to be sad. I guess we'll go back to ground work or I'll ride bareback. Poor Nawlers.

1 comment:

SprinklerBandit said...

Ouch! Poor mare. I'm glad she did well at the show, and I bet you'll have a blast on her next time. It sounds like she did settle down eventually, which is good news. Izzy did pretty much the same thing at her first show, and she's getting to be quite the trooper.

You have a good girl. (And funny kids.)