Monday, March 21, 2011

Time Flies

I often look back on my blog 1 year when I am feeling crappy. This is about the time of the year that our life as we knew it started to go down hill. A year ago was when my trainer threw me under the bus with the other trainer (and I realized that she might not be what I need, but didn't have a good reason to leave. Thanks Denali.)

All and all, I am glad we are where we are. For about two years we were on a really rocky road. I finally feel like we are in a Zen place and I like it. Denali is happily grazing in a field with her friends. Everyone comments that she is the "friend maker" and buddies up with everyone new (who would have thought that.) I am having trouble imagining riding her, but think that sending her to training will allow me to start to think about that as an option. I don't even think about it anymore. I'm afraid I'll get my hopes up and I'm tired of disappointment. She's a funny mare. I joke that she's on the spectrum, and doesn't do well with change (which she doesn't at all!) They are very accommodating to her "disability" but I can't wait for the mud to dry up because she and I are going on trail "walks." There are miles and miles of trails behind the barn and she needs things to change and still be a good experience.

I have loads of trade saved up at the Giant Warmblood Barn to take lessons. I am going to join the gym after work today. It's called (not even kidding) "Denali Fitness" and work out for a few months. I haven't lost much (if anything I've gained) and I need to get my butt in gear. With my bum knee/ankle combo there isn't much running I can do, but they have an elliptical machine and I can do that until the cows come home. (At least I use to be able to.)

6 comments:

smazourek said...

Denali Fitness, eh? Must be a sign. Do they have a pool? That would be even better for your bum appendages.

I heartily endorse the idea of taking her on trail walks, that method has worked very well with my crazy girl.

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

I LOVE a trail walk. You can easily walk her a mile (and build up) to miles!! Great for you both! I like to multipurpose my exercise with my pony's.

Muddy K said...

Trail walks, big yes! I'm going to do this with Saxony, mostly to help me deal with my nerves at being out of the ring, partly to build some muscle in both of us.

Amy said...

Sounds like you are doing the best you can with what you have. Trail walking sounds great all around!

SprinklerBandit said...

Hooray! When I had a gym membership, I used the elliptical a ton. It's very low stress/low impact, so easy injured joints. Good luck! (And enjoy the trails!)

Achieve1dream said...

Hehe Denali Fitness! That's awesome. That's your daily reminder for why you are there. :)

I think the trail walks will be a great experience for her. They've been so good for Chrome. I find walking him so enjoyable and relaxing. She may be "up" at first, but I bet she'll settle into it well and you'll get to where you really enjoy taking her. I'm excited that things are finally turning around for you guys. I think the new barn is probably a big part of that (just guessing since I don't know all the details).

Keep up the great work!