Sunday, September 25, 2011


This weekend was B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L in Seattle. I wore shorts yesterday for probably the last time before the rain really starts. For the first time in two weeks I was able to go out to the barn to see Denali. She looks GOOD! She's still on the loading dose of Adequan, but I swear I can already see a HUGE difference. She's such a good girl. I'm so grateful that the vet let me keep Denali a the center. She is so happy.

One problem. Her feet. She is still really, really foot sore. I couldn't tell before because she was ouchy all over. Now that she's moving better I can tell that it's her feet. I think I'm pretty knowledgeable about lots of things equine. Feet are the one thing that I don't feel very knowledgeable. What can I do to keep her comfortable? I don't want to put shoes on her (unless I have to.) Are their other options? I'm thinking that once the rain starts, and the ground isn't hard she won't be so ouchy. Are their other options and have you tried them?

Today it was REALLY, REALLY windy. I had to pick up a donation at a house near the Giant Warmblood Barn. What was the donation?

The center that I volunteer for is 80 acres and it is a TON of work! On my way to the house to meet the person that was going to transport the Cub Cadet, a tree hit a utility pole and I watched the box blow up and smoke. I got to call 911 for the countless time since I've moved to Seattle.

LESSON 1: When you hang up with your husband saying, "I need to call 911." It's best you finish the sentence and tell him why.

I got to the house, and walked around. I knew the owner wasn't going to be there, but she had left the keys in it, and told me it was fine to take it. I couldn't find the Cub Cadet, but admired her barn and property. After about five minutes I couldn't find the CC and I also noticed that her horse trailer wasn't in sight like she said.


LESSON 2: Even if your GPS takes you to a house, make sure that it knows the difference between Place and Street. I was SO EMBARRASSED! Thankfully, no one was home at that house either!

After getting to the right house, I tried to start the Cub Cadet. No luck. The battery was dead. Once the trailer showed up, it took us two hours to get the Cub Cadet onto the bed of the trailer. Talk about being creative. I'm glad that I learned about pulley's in high school.

We finally got the Cub Cadet onto the trailer and to the barn. Two hours to get on the trailer, two minutes to get off the trailer. It still wouldn't start, but luckily the owner of the horse who survived the fire (that we are still treating) said he liked to putter with engines so he gave it a look over. We finally found the battery and jump started the Cub Cadet.

After we got it running, he told us to keep running it to charge the battery. I decided in my great wisdom to drive it up the driveway to the center (about a quarter mile.) About half way out there it made a horrible noise, blew blackish/blue smoke and died. The girl who was feeding and I pushed it MOST of the way back to the barn, but it's still sitting out on the road as I write this.

LESSON 3: Do not drive a new boy far away from the barn if you were told that "It needs some work."

After "parking" the Cub Cadet I went to the Giant Warmblood Barn. I wasn't going to work today, the girl that I've been training is taking over most of my shifts for me. I called the owner to let her know that I couldn't make it (due to pick up for the Cub Cadet and MASSIVE migraine that I had.) She was fine with it, but let me know that one of my favorite horses became Ataxic. I had to see him, she told me it was bad and no one could figure out what was wrong with him. They are going to give him a few days on anti-inflammatory, but it wasn't looking good. He is such a sweet, sweet boy and I love him so. I hung out in his stall with him and loved on him for about twenty minutes. Giving him as many kisses as he could handle. Think good thoughts for Vegas. I hope he pulls through. He definitely doesn't know where his feet are right now.

LESSON 4: Be grateful for today, because you'll never know if you'll have a tomorrow.


Lisa said...

Can you get some pics of her feet for us? Take one if the sole, one from the side with her hoof held up, one straight down her heels with the hoof up, then from the side on the ground and in front on the ground.

IMO, shoes are only for healthy working horse feet, and should only be used temporarily, with long breaks in the off season. Google 'hoof boots' for alternative hoof protection.

Most of the time if a horse is ouchy it is because of thrush infection. Thrush is that gooey black stuff that smells absolutely foul. Hooves are not meant to smell like that! Thrush is easily treatable with a wide range of things, but I use a daily scrub with apple cider vinegar for about a week each time I see the thrush. For deep seated thrush infection I use petroleum jelly mixed with copper sulphate (or bluestone) and I push that into all the nooks and crannies.

Now I'm waffling, sorry!!

Janine said...

I also know nothing about feet. I hired a natural trimmer who really works with the foot. Not just put shoes on. I had to switch, because my one horse was really foot soar and the farrier said, well you have to do shoes. I also was not going to do shoes! Beside the costs! The natural trimmer already fixed the problem in 1 visit! I also ordered the book and video from her school she learned from It helped me tons to understand the foot and how it works. I should have learned this stuff years ago. It makes a big difference. Good luck!

eventer79 said...

Whew, that sounds like a busy day!

For ouchy feet, first see if you can figure out WHY they are ouchy. Diet? Trim? Sole bruise? Balance? If you don't want to give her shoes, how about hoof casts? Everything has its pros and cons -- with Solo, I got tired of him being footsore all the time, put shoes on and when I saw how comfortable he was, I never regretted a second. He's back to barefoot behind now that he is out of work, but I'll leave the fronts on because that is what is best for him.

Sarah said...

OY, the drama:)

As for Denali's foot sore-ness, you could try Durasole (which worked wonders for Miles) or Keratex. There are also supplements like SmartPak's SmartSox that they say helps with blood flow to the hoof, therefore with hoof soreness. You might also want to talk to the vet about something like Isoxsuprine which helps with blood flow, but it is Rx. My navicular mare was on it and it made a huge difference. Good luck!

Sarah said...

Also, I'm so sorry about Vegas...I hope everything turns out ok:(

Frizzle said...

For the hooves, I strongly suggest getting a trimmer who is certified by the Oregon School of Natural Hoofcare ( That's where Salem's trimmer went and she has completely turned his hooves around twice. Also, Laz's new trimmer, who is Dr. Bowker's rehab hoof trimmer, attended OSNHC (and that, my friend, is impressive, as Bowker is pretty much a hoof rockstar!).

And before all the rain starts, I would get some Keratex Hoof Gel. Here in Miami, it's rained just about every day for the last six months and Salem usually has a giant moat outside his stall, but his hooves are tight and gorgeous largely because of the KHG.

Heidi said...

e-mail Andrea about hooves.

Chelsea said...

My Cruizer horse was VERY footsore after going barefoot. One thing I tried that did some absolutely amazing things for him was Farrier's Fix Hoof Oil. You can get it at Dover and SmartPak and it's about twenty dollars. One bottle lasts me about 5-6 months of putting it on daily after trims for a week, and then once a week after that. Its all natural, primarily Wintergreen Oil, and does not seal the hoof. I apply it all over the hoof wall, sole, frog, and heels. Cruizer went from limping to being rideable in a matter of three days/applications. I also put it on after trims to prevent stone bruises or soothe them when they happen. It is well worth the money for me! It also makes the new hoof growth super healthy and strong.

achieve1dream said...

Lesson four is so important. I hope he pulls through.