Sunday, November 22, 2009

November 22 in Pictures

Went out to see Denali tonight for the first time since Tuesday. I suck at being a horse mom. I've been feeling under the weather, I finally gave up and am going to the Dr. tomorrow. I wanted to at least let Denali remember that I love her even if I do suck at riding her. She (even with her Rambo Supreme with a hood) was COVERED IN MUD! She looked pathetic. I felt so bad. She even came up to me in the field, which doesn't happen in the winter usually. Her ears had dirt in them. How she did that, I have no idea!

Guess what else she did? I turned her out in the arena and was talking to our Trainer about my lack of proper horse ownership skills, when we heard what we thought was thunder. Not thunder, my horse running around the arena like a bat out of hell. It's pretty impressive. I don't have any video of it, which is something that I would have REALLY LIKED to have. She does AMAZING flying lead changes, and some crazy stops. I know that's hard to believe, so you don't need to. SOMEDAY I'll get it on video...someday!! Lol, I feel like I'm telling stories.

It was during this CRAZY running around that Ms. Denali proceeded to tear off her front right shoe. I saw something silver flying through the air. This is the first shoe she's lost in almost a year. That ended my plans for the day, although I wasn't planning on riding her anyway...


Decided to soak her right hind (the one that's been swollen for a few months) to try to see if that would help take down some swelling. She was a good girl for the soaking, but it probably helped that I put two flakes of hay in front of her. She didn't budge the whole time. I had to remind her a few times to keep her foot in the water/Epsom salt mixture.

































After ten minutes of soaking the lump on her leg looked a lot better. Not 100%, but a lot smaller. And now for a semi confirmation shot. It's not the best, but it's still a shot. I tried!


















This video was from Tuesday night, but no mater what it's too dark. I tried.


3 comments:

Frizzle said...

Lol, all I saw on the videos was blackness. I understand, I've done the same thing myself. :-)
Why has Denali had a lump on her leg for a few months? Maybe you've already covered that (?), but I haven't read it.

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

She got the lump back in September, the vet has been out twice to look at it. The first time he said the swelling would go down. A month later a different vet came out and did xrays. They came out clean, but the swelling hasn't gone down. That's when the vet diagnosed her with EPM. Since the EPM diagnosis, I've been trying to get the swelling to go away with Epson salt soaks. I've done it twice now, and it's slowly going away.

Frizzle said...

Hhhhhmmm, I wonder if ice boots or Back on Track wraps would help her any...just a thought. Or magnetic boots? It seems odd that it's been swollen for so long.