Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Vet Visit #2,390




Okay, I'm not counting but it HAS to be close to there!!

The vet was running late today and so I had a little extra time to run around before my parents get here TOMORROW. Eek! I was fine, I was fine, I was fine, then I started freaking out. I have a love/hate relationship with my vet. I LOVE her, but I'd much rather see her out and about and not our monthly visits at the barn.

I left Denali in her paddock until the vet showed up. We walked over together to get her and Ms. Nawlers did her normal, "Mom! MOM!!! MOM!!!" nickering and freaking out. It's so cute! The vet thought it was cute too, but she's very wary of Denali. Denali USE to love the vet, but in recent appointments has decided that she HATES the vet! A few appointments ago we had push her into the wall just to get her to hold still long enough to sedate her without her killing someone. It's bad, usually really bad and really embarrassing. The vet brought along her assistant who Denali tried to take out last time. She was happy when I said that I'd handle Ms. D for them.

We went in and trotted up and down for them. The vet said, "Wow, I'm so impressed." I was SO excited, "Oh, her leg looks better?!" "Well, yes it's getting better, but she's just being so good for you!"

Yep! We've worked hard on making sure she knows that Momma's in charge now. Aside from being impressed with Denali's ability to listen and remain calm (no more reserpine) she was also impressed with how Denali is healing and said she is "very happy with the way she is looking."
THANK GOD!!!! Thanks for all the good thoughts by the way!! She then proceeded to tell me that she had warned her assistant that it could be a very late night.

Now comes the part I'm not 100% sure I'm ready for.... Denali is to be ridden to help build back those muscles. Just at the walk, and just for 10 or so minutes a day. Gulp! Not going to lie, I'm nervous. It's funny, I'd love to ride just about any horse, but the thought of riding Ms. Nawlers got to me today. BUT, I figured I'm different rider than I was when I started this blog. I can do this! Although, I am going to wait until after my family has left. Don't want them to watch me die. ;0)

Ms. Nawly during her shockwave therapy. Very, VERY drugged

We're going to have our review of ground manners before I hop back up on her. I rode her a few weeks ago and it was fine. Suck it up. :)

This SHOULD be one of the last large vet bills for a while (fingers, toes, legs, etc. crossed.) I just took a picture to show that the gift I received yesterday went right to Ms. Nawlers. I read the fugly blog today and almost choked on my coffee! I don't EVER want to end up on there. She assured me that what I was doing is fine. SO, just my Keep Me Off of Fugly reminder, I'm not begging for money, although the little surprises that I've received have come at the perfect moments and have made my day! I also really appreciate that many of you have bought my stuff. I'm sure you might not have needed it, but you bought it to help me. Thank you.


I asked her to tell me what I've spent in the last year. She started to look then said, "Honestly, you really don't want to know." It is probably better that way. I saw some of those figures and was doing some adding. Ugh. I don't want to know. I do know that Ms. Nawlers is currently the most expensive horse (bill wise) that the vet sees. Joy! I think we need a trophy. You think they'd make us that at least!

In regards to my grass growing attempts, it looked like the Dust Bowl today.... Sigh... Lots of watering. I know, I know, NOT the best time to plant grass.

Thanks everyone for your support!!

7 comments:

Amanda said...

You wont end up on Fugly! YOU actually care about your horse, and don't expect everyone else to pay for it. You are employed, know proper grammar, and not retarded =) Haha!

Seindria said...

I think I have to agree with Amanda, I don't see you ending up on the Fugly blog, unless it's for a GOOD reason.

Glad to hear Miss D. is doing better!

Anonymous said...

Very good news! And, when you get ready to ride, I have one word - drugs (for the horse, not you). A little bit of Ace can made the difference in bringing a horse back into work between a good ride and a life-threatening experience.

Unknown said...

YAY!!! So exciting to get cleared to ride. I'm totally looking forward to the day (three weeks from now) that I can sit on Panache again. And I agree with Kate, mine is definitely getting aced for it... on top of the Reserpine. Don't want a fight the first day back :)

Drillrider said...

Well.........I kind of thought the whole "Pegasus" thing was borderline because although Denali needs rehab, she doesn't need the HILTON for rehab.

Champagne taste on a beer budget came to mind!

Frizzle said...

Wooohooo! Wonderful news! As others have pointed out already, drugs are your friend! Hahaha. Best of luck to you and your Million Dollar Mare. :-D

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

Hooorah!!! FINALLY some good news! What a relief, huh?
So, 10 minutes..u can handle that. BUT I KNOW what u mean..I was very nervous getting back on Laz but I think you'll be surprised..just breathe and pretend she's the Morgan and you'll do fine and she'll love carrying you around! :)