Monday, May 4, 2009

I heart my girl!

I went out to the barn yesterday and rode Denali. She did such a good job! I love that she loves me (in the way horses love.) I walk to her field and she comes running to me like a bat out of hell nickering all the way. She's great. She follows me anywhere (unless there is tempting grass than forget about it.) I'm very proud of her, not just because she listens on the ground but because she's becoming so safe *in Denali terms* under saddle. We just walked around the arena and did a little trotting and worked on stopping.

I wrote a letter last week to four people who are involved with Emerald Downs and Racing. It just told the story of how I got Denali and the name of the person I got her from. I won't post it here, because I'm not out to totally bash the woman. I wish she would be truthful and try everything to find horses a good home and use the auction as a last resort, not a first. I know she did the same thing to another horse, I talked to the Jockey who had the horse and he said that she "begged" for this horse for her daughter and he finally said that she could have her for the price of her vet bill (she had got hurt racing.) This woman paid and then didn't pick her up, didn't pick her up, and finally picked her up the first Sunday of the month. That's when the auction is held. It just makes me sad... Anyway, the point of this is that I didn't put my return address on the letters (because I am a huge chicken and envision the woman or her husband running me down with one of the horses) but did put my e-mail. I just got a response from one of the people I wrote to. Gulp... That means that the others will either get their letters today, or soon.

I'm not sure I can mentally handle this week. I find out if I get hired for next year, and I'm so afraid of this lady coming after me, that I don't know if I can ever go to the races again. I have made some really good friends at the track, but I don't want to go with them, because I'm afraid that this lady will see me with them and assume they made me write the letter. I know how the races work. They protect each other, regardless of who they like or not. One of them actually asked me to wait and see if they could "bust her" doing it. Part of me wishes I would have listened to her, and part of me is glad I gave Denali a voice. When she comes running and nickering towards me, it makes me forget about these letters and I'm glad I did it. Then I get home and start to worry again. That's what I do... Worry. I'm really good at it, I should have gotten my Masters in Worrying, I'd have my doctorate in no time...that and Over-Analysis things.

No comments: