Monday, April 4, 2011

Lesson Wednesday.

I got an e-mail this morning with a phone number to call to schedule my lesson. I'm having a lesson with Barb Apple on Wednesday, and had to call her today. I am so nervous. I haven't asked Denali to do anything other than to eat cookies for a LONG time. I just told her that we are a "hot mess" and that there is a high likely hood that I will cry. She was so nice. I'm just so excited and so nervous. I know that we can't move forward by doing nothing, but doing nothing has been stress free.

In addition I'm going to make an appointment with the vet. I know I could just ask her a million questions when I see her, but I want to pay her so I don't feel guilty for taking her time. I need to ask her what her thoughts on Denali going to training. We're going to look at her suspensory and see how that has been healing. It will be one year at the end of the month, but we think she strained it in November. I didn't have the money to sonogram it, and it didn't swell up. I want to talk about Adequan and the possibility of giving that to her. She just seems so stiff. I'm afraid of giving it to her and not having any progress with her neck. The next step (if Adequan doesn't work) is to put her under and inject the joint. I can't afford that. I also get nervous about needles near her spine. I need to keep reminding myself we're doing what's best for her, not what's best for me. If I can't ride her, I can't ride her. As long as she's happy and pain free that's all I care about.

8 comments:

Amy said...

How EXCITING! And nerve wracking. Either way I am happy for you and D. It sounds like you guys are on your way to working through some tough issues.

Peppis Mom said...

Im not sure if you, or your vet has ever said anything about this product, but I had a gelding with pretty bad arthritis in his hock joint and for a few month, he couldn't even walk without a defient limp.... We put him on what is called "Yucca" Powder and also msm and with in two weeks he was walking with much more of a flowing motion and not as "gimpy" as we lovingly called it. Its also great for their coats ^_^

Just thought I would throw that out there for a bit less expecive supplement. As for the lesson, WHOOT Awesome awesome!!! Can't wait to hear how it goes. And DON'T at ANY Time during that lesson think you aren't good enough or that you aren't a good rider. You ARE. From what I have read in past blogs, you and D have a great bond as well as you having a good solid background in horses.

P.S. This is from Moosie, My mare. "I haz been readin up about Denali and sawz her picktur and just wanted to lets you know that wez look ALOT alikes." I also noticed this haha, and Moosie also says that No matter what, end on a positive note after the lesson, and to give Denali a Cookie because she knows that they always taste good haha!!!

Muddy K said...

Good luck with your lesson. I think you can't lose here, because it will be so good for you to have a chance to focus yourself a little bit differently, from a different perspective. It's a step forward, nothing more, nothing less, and there are no rights or wrongs in something so basic. I'm excited for you!

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

I'm going to look up the Yucca. I think it's in her SmartRepair, but I could be wrong.

Muah, ha, ha... I am glad you think that I'm actually going to GET ON Denali... I'm lucky if she doesn't kill me from the ground! It's just groundwork. We're not to the riding part...yet.

Peppis Mom said...

Being a "Good Rider" Includese ground work!!!! Just because you aren't getting ON her doesn't mean that you still aren't a good rider! As for the ground work, it helps... at one point my gelding just walked all over you... so we spent a good solid month (every other day if not every day) With just ground work and manners.

Achieve1dream said...

How exciting about your lesson. I can't wait to hear about it!

Let us know what the vet says too. I wish D was closer to you so you could do ground work with her regularly. If it's arthritis that's usually improved with exercise.

Let us know how it goes.

SprinklerBandit said...

Hey, the instructor has been warned. You guys will do great.

Oak Creek Ranch said...

I use a product called ArthOxygen (made by Ukele) and its worked wonders on joint pain, stiffness and mobility for our horses. It does have Devils Claw in it so you can't use it if you show. Check it out too.