Thursday, April 7, 2011

Part 2

The tale doesn't get much more exciting, I just ran out of time earlier... Oh, how about the best part of the appointment was when Denali kicked herself and cut her leg. Really? Really mare? You're just putting salt on the wound now.

Where did I leave off...oh, selling Denali. To who? It's not like I can ask Bill Gates to buy her? I'd love to find someone looking for a pasture puff, but not because I  don't love her, but because I do love her. If I could find someone who had $$ and was willing to put the work into her then I might consider it. She's the love of my life, but I get so afraid she'll need something that I just can't afford. I get terrified of what's going to happen when my husband finishes Grad school. I don't know where we're going to end up and I get worried about the vet care we might have available (or not available.)

So again, back at taking it a day at a time. I think we're getting pretty good at it.  My husband I talked about looking for retirement board, but he pointed out that 'cheap' retirement board is at least an hour away and he doesn't want to deal with me boo-hooing about not seeing my pony. I'm still hoping that I can find something cheaper since we don't really need an arena and while he smiles and doesn't say much I do feel really guilty about spending so much money on Denali.

I'm trying to think positive. The vet did say there was a chance. Well, before she didn't even have a chance and she pulled through. Nothing makes your heart sink more than watching your horse run with a horrible limp, and then watch her buckle when her neck is pressed on. I wish I would have never went to Denmark, then she would have had turn out and then maybe NOT gone through that fence. I know, I have so much to be grateful for, but I still get down. I'm not planning on taking lessons other than groundwork. I think it would just break my heart knowing that I don't have a horse of my own to practice on. I've had all my riding gear stacked on my saddle rack in my living room. Tonight I decided the best course of action was to sit, stare at it, and cry. I'm so responsible and know how to solve a problem. My poor husband picked up my dressage whip and I cried some more. Not sure why I'm crying. It's a great coping mechanism.

A friend of mine sent me some good thoughts and I of course drive my vet totally insane with them. She'll probably be glad to get rid of us.

 Onto The Lesson.

The lesson went fabulously. It was so awesome and she was so patient with me (Barb). I loved her and I loved the work that we did. She gave me some good things to work on, and help me to communicate with Denali. We worked on backing and leading. I am always amazed at what a quick learner Denali is. I might buy these books. Watch out Lukas, you might have some competition. ;0)

4 comments:

Dom said...

I don't mean to be a downer because I really hope you find a way to make this work and that she makes some sort of miracle recovery, but if it comes down to it, if she was my horse, I'd put her down before I'd sell her. You just can't tell where a horse is going to end up, even if you sign a contract. And a horse with medical problems? Forget it.

With that out of the way, I've seen horses on pasture rest make great recoveries from suspensory injuries. Many of them even go on to be ridden successfully in competition. The neck would be my biggest concern. Again, if this was my horse, I'd forget about the lofty goal of riding her. I'd find a cheap pasture to throw her in (even if it was an hour away) and leave her for six months, then re-evaluate. I wouldn't waste money on working her. I wouldn't waste money on any more tests. And in six months? Best case she's doing better. Worst case, she's the same.

All my rambling aside, I've got my fingers crossed for you guys.

Promise said...

I felt the same way when I asked my vet what he would recommend if the 2nd stifle injection didn't work, and he replied, "Get a new horse." I know he didn't say it to be a jerk, and I like to think on some level that vets must understand what we go through when our animals are hurting - most of them have animals of their own. It's not their job to support us.

Even if I could afford another horse, I don't want one right now. Even if I could sell her, I wouldn't. I just want my baby to be ok, but I'm not sure I can afford to get her there.

It's hard. And there's really no right or wrong answer. But, ultimately, I think just doing the best you can for them and loving them is all they expect from us.

Achieve1dream said...

Crying is my coping mechanism too. :) I hope you feel better since you've gotten it all out. I'm glad your husband is being supportive. He knows how hard this is on you. *hugs*

I really think Denali would enjoy clicker training. You've mentioned feeding her treats and didn't say anything about her being pushy for them, so that shouldn't be a problem. She sounds polite about them. I really enjoy using clicker training with Chrome while I'm waiting for him to be old enough to ride. He picks things up so fast and I'm amazed at what he remembers even if we don't work on it in a long time. Just a thought.

I'm glad the lesson went so well. :D

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

Dom, there is only one person in this world that I'd "sell" my horse too and that is my vet. Denali's not going anywhere.