Tuesday, July 6, 2010

2 Years ago today...

Two years ago today I fulfilled my life long dream and bought my first horse, a 3 year old Appendix, who I quickly realized was a 4 year old OTTB.

Ophelia's mom and I were talking about this last night. When we were ten we'd both draw our dream horse and envision what it would be like when we finally got our first horse.

Let me just say, I never thought I'd be auctioning off my horses shoes to help with the vet bills.

Ms. Denali tonight caused me to be an unruly boarder. Sunday I tried handwalking her and she went into TOTAL RACE HORSE MODE. I decided it was probably the fire works and because I don't want her to kill herself, after she got back up from falling over (yes, she was that graceful in her "I want to run as fast as I can" moves) I pulled her head into me and drug her back to her stall. Naughty pony.

Last night she tried doing the same shit, but I wasn't in the mood. Damn it Denali, I just spent 1,330 dollars on yet ANOTHER vet bill. Don't be a fu@#ing idiot! We'd be walking, walking, walking...take off like a bat out of hell, trying to go over me. One thing is for sure. I have no fear of handling that horse anymore. She pissed me off so bad, that I started dropping the F-Bomb like it was my job. I reprimanded her quickly and got her back to walking, but I'm pretty sure that every other work, if not every word was the F word. Very lady like, and Kindergarten teacher like of me. She did that three times, and finally, FINALLY seemed to realize, hu, I can't do that can I? One time the cat jumped from the top of the wall to the arena (20 feet or so, damn cat) and she flipped out again, but I didn't get too much on her case since it was a weird thing and she didn't try to take off, she just spun around.

Then I started bawling. My trainer thought I was afraid of her and was trying to encourage me. No, I'm not scared, I'm just to that point of frustration that is hard for me to handle. I'm sure you all know what I mean.

I've decided that from now on I'm doing a shot of Whiskey, and I'm giving Denali an extra shot of ACE. I don't even like Whiskey, but maybe it will calm my nerves (okay, so not really going to do either of those things, but sounds like a good idea.)

Also, I wanted to say another HUGE Thank you to my followers!! Last week Denali got her 100th follower and now we're up to 102!!! I really appreciate it, I also appreciate all of the support you give me. You give me the courage to be brave! Sorry I didn't write about it last week, I was so down in the dumps I could have won the lottery and I probably wouldn't have cared!!

3 comments:

Taylor E Robb said...

"There comes a time in every horseperson's life when she wonders if it's all worth it. Then one look at her horse and she realizes- it is." That's a quotation from somewhere... I know what you mean though! My OTTB usually (sometimes listens) but there are days when he just gets this attitude, like "oh, wait, I can't go through you? I'm supposed to stop?" and he always walks over me when he has the largest audience, too. I also know how it feels to get so angry and frusterated that you cry. And then people are trying to comfort you, and you're just sitting there, like, "Dammit! Horse! WHY WON'T YOU LISTEN?"

Oh- and here's another quote for you: "It takes a good deal of physical courage to ride a horse. This, however, I have. I get it at about forty cents a flask, and take it as required." ~Stephen Leacock

Sarah said...

Good for you for getting pissed off! I'm serious actually:) Of course it is never a good idea to correct when angry, blah blah blah, but maybe that's exactly what you needed-and SHE needed, from the sounds of it! I don't care if she's an OTTB who is on stall rest, it is NOT OK to behave like a ninny when being led.

Of course, I say all this, but I was right there with you, crying out of frustration once. It got better for me and it will for you too.

Leah Fry said...

There are days I'd gladly ship mine off to the Alpo factory. You are certainly not alone.