Saturday, January 30, 2010

Vet appointment # 2,929

Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it's doesn't feel very off. Ophie's mom had the vet out for an appointment so I decided to get Denali adjusted at the same time. I really liked the vet. She's from the big veterinary hospital, and more expensive, but very knowledgeable.

Denali was a very good girl for her appointment. The vet had me lunge her first before she worked on her. Denali was still lame, but not as bad as Wednesday. Her back was only out in a few spots by her pelvis, a marked improvement from this time last year. I asked the Vet a million questions about EPM and treating it. She said it is rare that it comes back, but that it is possible. She told me to not worry too much about it. I'm suppose to keep exercising her lightly until she is back to 100%. I passed this information on to Denali's lessor. I think she's so lame in the hind end from all the work she's been doing. She never uses her butt muscles, so I'm betting she pulled something while working over the cross rails or ground poles.

My favorite quote from the vet, "Don't' take this the wrong way, but what are two first time horse owners doing with OTTBs? "

I told her that technically I bought an Appendix ;o) I don't think that there is anything with owning an OTTB as your first horse, but doing so without having a trainer of someone to support you can be disastrous. (Remember this is all my opinion!) Denali had time off to be a horse, she is one of the smartest horses I know, and I have never fully regretted my decision (I say fully because there are days that I'm SO PISSED at her I want to pull my hair out.)

Here is my other question for you. At what point do you stop calling them an OTTB? I know some people who own 12 and 15 year old TB's and they talk about their OTTB, even though their horse has been off the track for 8 years and they only bought them AFTER they've had extensive re-training and then training in a specific discipline. Sometimes they are the second or third owner (after the track owner.) I also get annoyed when they complain that their horse freaks out because it is a Thouroughbred. That's not an excuss. I think that thoroughbreds are build differently, and have a different use early on in their careers, but if they are re-trained correctly they shouldn't have a problem. BUT, what do I know, right?

I turned Ms. D out in the arena after her appointment and proceeded to go pay and pick up some Bute to keep on hand (we got the powdered kind this time.) When I walked back into the barn I looked out into the arena to notice that Ms. Denali had opened up the doors on the other side the entire way (which opens onto a grassy patch and the other barn.) However, she was just standing in the arena with this look on her face that said, "Man, I really want that grass, but I know she'll kill me if I leave." I let out a little screech and called to Denali (I'm lucky, she comes to me almost every time I call for her) as I walked over to re-latch the gate. Geeze Denali, I know you wanted attention, but you could have just waited! I'm glad she didn't walk out of the arena. If she spooked that is where the owner keeps his arena tiller, usually spikes up, and THAT woudl be one horrible expereince!

I'm hoping the lameness turns out to be just soreness. Anyone else have this problem?

4 comments:

Jay Jennings said...

Yea, I might of had an issue if a vet said something similar to me. A first time horse owner is a first time horse owner. They will learn a lot and go through a lot of experiences wither it's an OTTB, a quarter horse, warm-blood or draft. All horses can be dangerous all horses can be difficult to deal with; and I have seen just as many easy to deal with OTTB's as I've seen ass-hat dumb bloods. I own a little of everything (2 warmbloods, 1 TB, 1 QH and a Draft) so I can say that with experience and not say I'm being bias.

I would rather see an OTTB go to a good home and get proper care from and owner who is wanting to learn, than see a $200,000 warmblood go to a home where their cared for by the barn staff and an absent owner.

For a vet to say that seems very unprofessional to say the least.

Anyway - hopefully she will get better soon. My TB has always had hip issues; we get by with 3 or four chiro visits per year. With proper exercise and good warm ups and cool downs plus a nice joint supplement she does fine.

SprinklerBandit said...

I think people usually keep the OTTB label for life. It's not a bad thing; it's just letting people know where the horse came from.

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

OTTB for life baby!
Agreed..it sort of explains a lot in terms of training, issues, etc. Not that any of that couldn't be applied to any TB or any horse for that matter.
For me, Laz raced for 6ish yrs which is a long time for an OTTB and he has some days that its a major issue.
I am a 1st time horse owner too and he is my first boy which he is obv an OTTB. I think if you care enough to read, research, seek help when you don't know an answer-that makes you a good horse Mom. It's the people that act like they know everything that worry me.
You have to be a firstie some time right?! Why not do it with a fire breathing dragon, lol! (I say that very jokingly b/c sometimes I think..what the shit did I get myself into?! And then I see those brown eyes..and I know why! :)

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

LOL! I say that all the time! If I can train a fire breathing dragon then I can train anything!