Friday, February 19, 2010

I love my Vet

I love my vet. She always makes me feel better when I'm having my overanxious, first time horse owner moments. I was trying to decide if I should call her and drive her nuts with my EPM questions. I was trying to calm my self down, but then I read this and that didn't help my fears at all. I wanted to read that once treated that horses are fine, and no recurrence. Apparently not the case.

We scheduled her teeth to be done the last week in March. I originally scheduled to have them done with a different vet to save the farm call. I figured I'd need to have my vet out anyway to do the . She said that if Denali is still hurting herself that we'll re-do the nero tests (if nothing positive shows up between now and then.) If the nero tests show regression then Ms. D will be going to the Equine Hospital for a spinal tap. Not the best news, but not the worst news. It could always be worse AND there is still not 100% proof that something is wrong. I just have this gut feeling that something is up, and I can't get over it. At least with an appointment set I can feel better.

I called the Equine Hospital and asked them for their rates (for pony saving saving purposes) and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Sedation is between $20-60 and the actual procedure is only $250 plus the lab work, plus the hauling fee. I'd say around $500. I thought it was $500 for just the tap. Then we go from there. I guess the way we'd go about it now is a spinal tap now, treatment, then a spinal tap again. Again, just a WHAT IF senario. That's why I have this blog, so I can fret and worry and not drive my husband totally insane.

Selfish me doesn't want to put all this training ($$$) into her if she's going to keep having problems. Of course I'd never let anything bad to happen to her.

Done rambling for now. I'm sure she's fine. Going to the barn and going to make the poor thing put up with me doing all the nero tests that I know. She's fine, she's fine, she's fine....I'm anal...

I think the first few lines of this song should be my theme song....


3 comments:

Mustang Cheyenne said...

I know very little about them, but have you ever considered getting an insurance plan for Miss Denali? I know they exist and for a certain amount per month you could have the peace of mind knowing no big expense is going to come up that won't be covered. Just a thought, something you may be interested in if you think this may be a reoccurring issue. Of course I HOPE it isn't, fingers crossed it's nothing at all. :)

SprinklerBandit said...

It's good to know your backup plan, if it comes to that. Hopefully, it won't.

And I have my blog for the same reason; my poor husband was so sick of hearing about my horse that I needed to find an outlet.

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

I have Denali insured :) BUT, when I took out the policy, I took it out for only major medical. SO if she ever needs surgery we're covered! I couldn't change it now because it's "pre-existing" :( It was around 350 a month for everything and only 500 for the year for major medical.

To quote me in september when I took the policy out, "Nothing ever has happened to her, I'm not worried."

The next day all this crap started. Karma.