Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cancel the comment about the one good leg

It had a huge gross gash out of it tonight. I guess my trainer noticed it today and started treating it. So, now none of her legs are good. I guess that makes her even? Sigh....

In addition, guess who has to go see the Orthopedic Surgeon? I'm just as bad as my horse. My right foot has a lump on it, that is bone that shouldn't be there. I started running and it started hurting, the hurt didn't go away. Oh the fun times!! Last thing I want to do is to have surgery during the summer.

One cute thing is that my normally anti-snuggle horse was a snuggle bunny tonight. She was obsessive about me tonight. It was really cute and made me happy. I had to put some medication on her gash. It looks so gross, but I think it's going to be fine.


I walked away from her and turned around to this. That wall is about 8 feet tall. She was trying very hard to see where I went. Sweet girl. Now if she only knew what she was costing me.

10 comments:

Leah Fry said...

I think they do their best to bankrupt us a couple hundred bucks at a time.

Andrea said...

That is absolutely adorable! Hang in there, things can only get better from here on out . . . right?

Unknown said...

Aww... how cute of D to be looking for Mom! Still jingling :)

Crystal said...

H

Crystal said...

Hey I'm interested in the dressage book you have for sale but not sure how to contact you?

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

Ugh..it is SO unfair. I know the feeling (past and present) of HOW did I pick a horse that is so prone to bad things and cash depletion!!
I think it comes in waves...so you should be getting good luck soon!!!!!!!!!!
BUT I know that feeling..I literally get SO bitter with people with their sweet easy keepers and easy keeper lives...wtf!!!! Maybe I'm jealous and hurting b/c I'm broke and my baby still isnt 100%

Rising Rainbow said...

Sorry to hear your horse is turning into a money pit. That's pretty frustrating.

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

Kristen, the whole time you were going through everything with Laz, I kept thinking, "Oh wow, I feel so bad, I don't know what i would do if I had to go through that." Well now I do, literally one day at a time, sometimes an hour....

Crystal, the dressage book sold. I'm sorry!! You can e-mail me at rehabdenali@yahoo.com

Sarah said...

You know what?? I hate to say this, but I think part of your troubles, and soooo many other people's troubles that adopt/buy OTTBs is the result of starting such strenuous work so early. I say this as the owner of a warhorse OTTB gelding who is 9...I love love LOVE him. So very much. We have been lucky in the soundness department but I've only had him since September, and his ankles and knees make it very evident he could never hold up to hard work again, like jumping or higher level dressage. Which is ok, since I have no desire for that level of work either;) and so far he can walk trot canter soundly and comfortably with the help of supplementation and 24 hour turnout.
I'm not saying every OTTB is going to break down or have such problems, but I'm convinced that starting those babies so early makes them more prone to the kind of issues you're having with her.
Best of luck with Denali...you're a great horse mom! Don't feel badly about having to wait on certain things like xrays due to finances. She is a very, very lucky girl to have you in her corner.

Sarah said...

Oops, in case it wasn't obvious, I meant starting RACE training early, not what you've done with her:-) I have a love/hate relationship with the sport.