Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Hello Nibblenet


Denali's nibblenet showed up today. I'm glad that I finally have something to hold her hay, and to keep her occupied. Without it she'd kick and bang on her stall because she snarfed up the flake quicker than anything. Seriously, if there was an eating contest for horses, Denali would win. Hands down. This at least slows her down. I'll keep you updated as to how it holds up.

Today was a hard day for me. I don't handle stress well, and today was a stressful day. I walked into Denali's stall and was taken back a bit by how much muscle she's lost. I know that's what happens, but it still makes me feel bad. It makes me feel guilty. It makes me wonder if there was anything that I could have done differently. It makes me feel guilty that she costs us so much money, guilty that my money goes towards her, and not towards our savings, guilty that even with spending all my money we still just don't have enough to send her to Pegasus. It's still the goal, and I'm not going to give up on it. I still have planned to go and visit it on June 5th. Even if something happens and I can't send her to Pegasus, I still need to make money to pay for her vet treatments, which quickly add up. Wait, why am I telling you this? I'm sure you've all been through this. I don't mean to complain, I'm just frustrated.

Anyway, I posted some books of mine for sale on the other blog. I included shipping in the price. Also, if anyone has anything that they want to sell, fell free to e-mail me a picture and a description and I'll post it on the blog along with your info. No fees (but if you win the lottery, remember us!)

8 comments:

Drillrider said...

Hmmmmmm? Was considering buying a nibble net, but sounds like it didn't slow Denali down much at all?

Don't worry about the muscle loss, you can get that back. Just keep up the good work on her recovery!

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

Oh girl, I know that feeling of guilt. Try and remember that this is temporary and you will get thru it. She will get her muscle mass back SO quickly!!!!! No worries. Laz has dapples that popped up yesterday, so if he can show some recovery, strong Denali certainly will. ALSO, this may be a good time for miss OTTB's mind to chillax a bit and focus on just being a horse for a while. It may end up being a good break for her. I hope so anyway!! Hang in there!!!

Nicku B said...

It is TOTALLY ok to feel like this. These situations are a rollercoaster ride of emotions. You just have to what you gotta do to get through it. There is hope and eventually this will all be behind you! Don't beat yourself up over it, some days will be easier than others. Hang in there :)

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

Drillrider, you have to understand that my horse can and will eat ANYTHING! She'll do anything to get to food, she obsesses over food! I like the net, we've had it one day, so I'll keep you updated as to how it holds up. If it can hold up to Denali, it will hold up to anything!!

in2paints said...

I know exactly how you're feeling, and it isn't easy to stay upbeat all the time, especially when faced with something like this.

My mare is a completely new horse since her 6 month layup... really! She is working so much better now and I'm thrilled. The break really did great things for her. (It wasn't great for my wallet and I would have preferred just to give her the time off without the tendon lesion, but hey, at least there's an up side.)

I don't know how you feel about hay nets, but I got one with really tiny holes in it and it slowed my mare down a lot. Now that I'm done with it, I'd be willing to donate it to the cause if you're interested in trying it out.

Muddy K said...

Smack back that guilt! You don't need it. Denali does so much for you, and you do so much for her. We all get to have a life, even though some of the choices we make seem so hard. She's a lucky horse to have found someone who's not afraid to make her a priority. You'll both get through this, really.

Drillrider said...

Denali's Mom: Thanks! I have a mare that is ALL about her food too. She is on a 7 acre dry lot (I'm in Idaho) that has minimal grass, with 4 other horses, and she is the only one of them that is getting FAT, FAT, FAT.

F. Belt said...

My mare is a completely new horse since her 6 month layup... really! She is working so much better now and I'm thrilled. The break really did great things for her. (It wasn't great for my wallet and I would have preferred just to give her the time off without the tendon lesion, but hey, at least there's an up side.) She's a lucky horse to have found someone who's not afraid to make her a priority. You'll both get through this, really.