Monday, March 8, 2010

Seeing Red

Last night Goodtimetoreview gave me a great idea to use an athletic sock as a tail bag. Great idea! I wish I didn't have a problem... I am anal. I am only anal about one thing, and that is my horse. It's sad really. Here are just a FEW examples of my issue... lets see if you can figure it out....

a few examples in this picture



Figure it out? I'm obsessed with everything she has matching, not just matching, but red... I have no idea why? Maybe it's from all those years of unfulfilled horse obsession being repressed. If I have something and it's not red, it's because I couldn't find it in red and I'm currently trying to find a reason to buy it when I DO find it in red. If it's not red, then it's black. There are a few things I own that are not black or red (hot pink bell boots anyone?) I couldn't find them in red, and when I had her wearing them out in her pasture, I didn't want to try to find a lost black boot. I'm pretty sure the the men and women in the Space Station can see those boots! :) If you see a picture with something that isn't red, then it's not mine. I borrowed it (i.e. lunge rope)

I'm trying to overcome my obsession. Yesterday I bought some tail bags, two of them are not red, but they do have red accents. I also bought a pink one. I'm trying to get over it. :) I did buy a lunge whip that is red. I'm trying, I'm trying...

I do have a story! It's a crazy, crazy one that will give you stories to tell your other horse friends at the barn tonight, "Hey, do you read that blog about that crazy girl and her horse? You should check her blog out!" WAIT! Maybe that's why I have so many followers... Hummm (I think as I steeple my fingers, I know, I know You cant' be thinking about steepling your fingers AND be typing at the same time, humor me!)

I may have mentioned early on in this blog (and if you didn't read the whole thing from the beginning, you don't know this) that I named Denali "Lillian" the day I got her. She was so sweet and so calm. I wanted her to have a name that matched her personality. Well... Obviously THAT didn't work out!

I quickly realized that Lillian was a HORRIBLE name for her. She is definitely NOT a Lillian. I told my friend (here's where the crazy comes in) that I felt that her aura was red. Something about her spoke red to me. I felt that Lillian was a purple, blue, something cool. Denali was not a cool aura horse. It was definitely red. Then I went out seeking a name that would match a red aura. Beet was one of the top running names for a day or two. I know, I know, it's horrible! I decided that I wanted to name her after a mountain. Something large, beautiful, and peaceful. I then decided that I wanted to name her after the mountain in Alaska, because then HOPEFULLY my husband wouldn't kill me. I think it fits her, and I still see red when I think about her aura.

Don't worry, I'm not totally crazy (all the time.) I don't see the aura in people only horses, and not every horse.

12 comments:

FlyinSoLow said...

If it makes you feel better I collect everything Blue and Black for Spudster =)

His rope and rope halter? black with blue tracing his baby rope halter is black but I have a blue one just waiting for him to grow into!
regular halter is leather, but the lead is black and blue! Tack box? Blue. Brushes? Blue except the horse hair one and the heavy dandy brush. Sweat scraper? Blue. Lunge whipe? Blue. Dressage whip? Blue. Blankets, well navy blue, black, and hunter but that is close to black and blue!
I can't ride him yet but I do already have tack for him to grow into. My enlgih saddle pad. Navy and blue. My western pad? blue. My smb elite boots? blue!

well, you get the point... if your crazy then so am I!

Seindria said...

I have this feeling that when I finally have my own horse, I'll be obsessed with things purple and pink... I already am otherwise! (Except my car, I did get "just" a black car... But it has a purple steering wheel cover!)

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

Can you say Lime Green for Laz!! LOL!! We are all crazy..it's ok. She looks awesome in Red and wears it proudly!
Thank god you chose Denali and not Beet. LOL!! :)

Rachel said...

I'm totally into the colors. Purple/Teal for my very first horse. Burgundy and Hunter for 'my' second. Pink and Burgundy for the second mare and currently Navy and Carolina Blue (in argyle patterns) for Granite. Sooo, pick a new crazy, lots of us have this one ;)

Frizzle said...

Ooohhh, my! Thank goodness you named her Denali instead -- much, MUCH better!
I, too, am obsessed with a color, but it's blue. The problem is that I can't make up my mind WHICH blue -- so I have a nay blue/grey helmet bag, royal blue grooming tote and wash bucket, baby blue/azure lead rope, turquoise water buckets and salt/mineral buckets, a royal-ish/silver blanket, navy blue blanket liner...oh, yes, I have issues! Next, we will have Wedgewood blue and Tiffany blue and cerulian and pthalo blue.
See? You are not alone in your craziness -- we are all nuttier than a pack of squirrels!

neith said...

I also like red and black for my girls! Almost everything I have is red and/or black.

K.K. said...

When I had my palomino his color was hunter green so Piney just sort of inherited everything green. I’ve got a winter blanket, spring sheet, shipping boots,grooming tote, both saddle carriers, and my bridle bag are all matching. However for Christmas Piney got a tan and navy blue heavy winter blanket which looks really sharp on him. I think his winter color is going to be tan and navy blue while the rest of the year will be green. My riding gear is pretty blah though. White saddle pad, and (grimy) white smbs, however his browband has got great big rhinestones. Lol..I know he’s a boy but he needed some bling!

When I got Piney, his name was supposed to be Impulse. He was also supposed to be a big grey mare! I had full intentions of picking out a young grey mare when I went out to get my new horse last spring. I didn’t expect for me to bring home a small, older, chestnut gelding. (He’s actually not that small he’s 16hh the rest of the horses were gigantic compaired to him though!). He didn’t fit the name Impulse at all. So when the guy who gave him to me told me his JC name was Pine Bend. I thought He looked more like a “Piney” or “Bendy”.
After our first dressage schooling show when the judge said “he lacks impulse” I laughed, then laughed again when he said “he needs more bend”. I call him Pine-Lacks-Bend during lessons and my instructor laughs. He’s starting to get more impulsion but he just doesn’t look like an “Impulse”. I think his crooked little blaze makes him need a cutsie name. I usually end up call him Pinecone though.

SprinklerBandit said...

Denali is much, much, much better than Lillian or (heaven forbid!) Beet. Good choice.

My colors on my old TB mare were royal and black. I wanted to do hunter on Izzy, but I seem to be ending up with royal and navy. Such is life. Having coordinating colors sure is snappy.

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. And yes, I realize that "Beet" would have been a really BAD choice!! Although i'd like to beat her sometimes...okay, kidding...

Unknown said...

At least by not naming her "Lillian" you removed the requirement of eventually ending up with a gelding named "Phil." I know that would have driven me crazy, if I knew I could have a Phil and Lil in my pasture.

Unknown said...

... and I would just have to make her show name "Lilly the Filly."

Brooke (FBX Adventures - In Parenting) said...

:) I do like the name Lilly, but not for this Filly!!!