Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Vet Appointment

Today was Denali's vet appointment. I woke my poor brother up at the crack of dawn to drag him out to the barn. When we got there Ophie was already being having her yearly check up. When they brought her in from her lameness re-check I took Ms. Denali out into arena to blow off some steam. She was such a nervous nelly! She kept checking out the arena to see if the vet's truck was still there, then would run off with her tail in the air to the other end of the arena, snort and walk slowly back up to the wall again to check to see if the vet left. It was pretty funny! Eventually she calmed down and went about eating the arena wall. sigh.

We had her re-check and the vet was VERY impressed with how she looks! She said she's not showing any signs of EPM, but that she is really stiff in her joints. She had a lameness re-check and took a lame step every time, but only a few then she was fine. The vet suggested that I start her on Adequen injections. I think it's a good idea, and I have noticed some stiffness in her hind end, but I just thought it was from her getting worked so much. I guess it can't hurt to try, but I am waiting until I have a little more "horse money" saved up before I start her on them. $275.00 is a lot of money that I wasn't expecting to spend today.

The vet and her assistant were also very impressed with her ground manners and how good she was for everything, even her flu vaccine (the one that goes in the nose) she didn't budge. I laughed and told them that she was putting on a show for them. The assistant kept petting her telling what a nice mare she was. I have to agree, but I'm also a little partial.

No luck on the saddle. I called twice and send two e-mails. I stop at that point. I don't want to be crazy girl! Oh well, I guess it wasn't meant to be! I'd like to have a different saddle, but I will get it when I'm meant to get it. Denali's funny. She HATES, HATES, HATES when you lean forward in your seat. She has always hated it, even when I rode her. She throws her head HIGH in the air and fights with the bit. It's my reminder that I need to sit on my tailbone. She also really needs a quiet hand. She's just SO sensitive when it comes to the mouth and the seat.

I'm pretty excited about the idea that we had a POSITIVE vet appointment!

5 comments:

Pony Girl said...

Oh dear, Ms. Denali would not like me riding, LOL! I am a total leaner-forward rider. I've gotten better in my saddleseat lessons though, since you sit so far back in the saddle.
Glad she was good for the vet. I have to have my boy's shots done in a few weeks, the vet will have to drug him because he is so awful. Unless we can get a twitch on him. Which just that attempt alone will just make him all nervous and then it will make the shots nearly impossible.
I can't afford the Adequan injections right now....and since my horse is not good with needles, they aren't a good option. I might try steroid shots though, those are a one-time thing and last from 6 months to a year.
I hope the Adequan works well for Denali, I know my mom's horse has had good luck with it!

Unknown said...

Good vet appointments are always exciting, especially when they stand quietly for everything. I've seen a lot of horses benefit from Adequan but it is terribly expensive to keep up with. Sorry to hear about the saddle. Hopefully the right one for you and Denali comes along soon :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad D's doing well! It's always nice to get that bit of reassurance from your vet. Also, good luck with the injections, I hope they owrk for her!

Allison said...

About adequan--you may already know this, but I didn't when I started my horse on it--adequan only provides half of the fluids you need for a properly working joint. Legend gives you the other half. Many people notice know difference when their horses are just on adequan (it didn't seem to have an effect on my horse and I essentially threw money away for six months doing a monthly adequan shot). Apparently their is a new product out that is like Adequan and Legend, but in one shot. I am considering putting my horse on that, but haven't decided for sure yet.
Either way, good luck, and keep us posted if you do decided to go with the Adequan. I'll be interested to see if it make a difference for you.

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

Good girl Denali for your ground manners! :) That is what is sometimes great about OTTB's, they are used to being handled like that..sometimes, at least Laz is decent like that and seems like your girl is too!
Sux about the saddle but something better will pop.
Funny about her 'reminder' when you lean forward.