Monday, November 8, 2010


I think I can write this without crying.

I think I can.

As you may have read, I had the holistic vet out on Saturday. She did body work on Denali, and Denali was a hot mess. Denali fell (again) during her exam. I thought about a million things that could cause it. It's the 8th or 9th time shes' fallen in 2 months.

The holistic vet asked me if we x-rayed her neck when we did her initial neurological diagnosis.

Yes, yes of course!!

I called our other vet (btw, I'm super thankful for having 2 amazing vets in our lives) just to confirm that we DID x-ray her neck (to check for wobblers.) Nope. We didn't. I went on to explain that Denali had fallen again during her initial with the other vet.


She then went on to say that she thinks that she needs to come back out to see Denali and that all this falling is concerning. I tried to give all of my hypothesis as to why... none of them seem to make the vet feel better. We didn't look at her neck because she improved with treatment for EPM. I guess that horses can be lucky and have both. Lucky, lucky us.

I'm sure I'm freaking out for nothing. (Fingers crossed)

Regardless, Denali is going on a little vacation. She is going to be staying at the NWESC . In reality, it is going to be cheaper for me to send her there and have her treated at the Vet's facility, than to keep her at home and treat her. The vet told me about this on Saturday, but I blew it off, but with the possible re-torn suspensory (did I mention this?) and all her body issues, and now more Nero tests.... this is what I can do for her now and keep myself from going totally crazy.

Still need to finalize everything with the vet. I appreciate the supportive texts, messages, and phone calls. Thanks to Pia's mom who offered to haul the princess for me. Pia has wobblers, so she is a wealth of information and super helpful with my crazy questions. I'm hoping that I look crazy here in a week or so and that everything is fine.

Someone last year left a comment asking "when is enough, enough?" Please don't ask that.


Miles On Miles said...

Ugh, I'm so, so sorry. Of course YOU know what's best for your mare, not someone on the internet.

The falling is very concerning, for sure. However, Denali is YOUNG and STRONG...and she has You there...her best friend and ally. It will be ok. It will be ok:)

Hugs if you want 'em...I'll be thinking positive, healing thoughts for your girl. You are doing the best thing for her right now, don't ever doubt that!

Frizzle said...

Aaahh, geez, girl -- you two have had more than your share of bad luck! Please know that my thoughts are with you and I'm sending you lots of good, healing vibes!
I admire the fact that you're really "all in" with Denali and are willing to go the extra mile (or, let's be honest, the extra FIFTY miles at this point, lol) for your MarePony. She had damn well better appreciate it!
Best of luck!

in2paints said...

I'm so sorry to hear this... I hope it turns out to be nothing, but it's definitely good to take precautions just in case.

Until we hear that she's perfectly fine, Lilly and I will be sending well wishes for you and Denali.

Nicku said...

Sending healthy, healing well wishes out to both of you. This is stressful stuff for sure. You're such a good horse mom for being so dedicated. I know how that all feels and sometimes you just have to just ride out a lot of yucky stuff for a little while in order to do what is really best for the animal you love so much and have committed to care for. Hang in there girl!

Anonymous said...

You're doing the best you can to figure things out, and it sounds like you've got good people working on it. That's what you need to do now for her, and you're doing it. It's important to get to the bottom of the falling episodes - scary and dangerous, for you and her.

Sending good thoughts and wishes.

Laura M. said...

Yikes, scary times! I'm really sorry to hear that her falling has gotten worse and that there is reason for concern. Hopefully the next round of diagnostics will get to the bottom of it all. Panache and I send lots of Jingles your way. Could we maybe send you a get well package? I'm sure Panache would love to share some of her favorite treats (strawberry candy canes) with a friend!

neith said...

It's so hard when things like this happen. One step forward, five steps back kinda thing. Stay positive. Things will work out ok. The waiting sucks though! Gypsy, Doodles and I are sending good vibes your way for Ms. Mareface.

Get better soon Denali!!

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

Oh Denali, poor girl and you too for the emotional rides. I think a good side of this, is that holistic healing center looks great, seems like a perfect option in her healing and a way for you to breathe and know she's in good hands during rehab. I know I'm a few hundred miles away but I'm here for you. xoxo

Ashley said...

I *CANNOT* believe someone said to you "when is enough, enough?" That makes me want to PUKE.

You & Denali are in my prayers. I can't imagine the stress and worry that you must be dealing with right now. I am thinking happy thoughts over here and will continue to.

Denali is so lucky to have you. You, time and time again, step up for her in ways unimaginable. You are a great horse mom. I am so glad you have Pia's mom to give you advice and answer questions, etc etc etc.

Keep your head up girl, we are all here for you!

Muddy K said...

It's hard to know what to say at times like this. I think all of us (your readers) wish we had the ability to lift you and Denali up any way we could. That magic wand just isn't out there, but the care and concern is.Please remember to take care of yourself, too.

Gingham said...

Pia says she hopes you don't have to do everything she did, but that wobbling around the paddock is sorta fun. so are visits to the "spaaaaaah"

we're here. :)

Karen said...

I am so sorry you are going through all of this with this sweet mare. :-( Very frustrating ... and scary, too! I hope things get figured out and that she gets on the road to recovery soon. *hugs*

Dee said...

I am sorry to read of yet another issue with your horse. I hope that they can find a reason that it isn't wobblers.

I have to be the horrible pragmatic one here, I have to ask, what is the recurrent falling/lack of balance going to do to her suspensory recovery long term? (Know I'm going to get hell for saying this)

What is her quality of life going to be like? Is she going to have to live on restricted turn out/mininaly turnout for her own safety for ever? for a number of months? At what time do you say "there isn't much more that can be done to keep this horse happy and not grumpy/hyper active from boredom" etc?
It is a hell of a tough decision to make - I've been there and had to do it to a horse over 10 years ago, when we could only x-ray, rest and hope. That horse too was an OTTB. The othe question is when is it too much for you to cope with the stress and expense of a chonicly injured horse?

Your vet is more than likely to say that "we can do this, we can do that, it's going to cost $$$$" don't forget that they DO make $$ out of teach treatment, and most do not want to tell teh owner that the animal is never going to come right.

Becky said...

So so SO sorry to hear this! It breaks my heart every time I see Denali & you having to hurdle over yet another obstacle. I say enough it enough when BOTH you AND Denali are done fighting... & based on your history, I'd say you're both fighters ;) All you can do it wait it out & hope for the best (or pray for the best!) Cheyenne sends warm wishes!!