Saturday, November 27, 2010

What Now?

We are still at a loss as to what is going on. We've cancelled the truck for the time being (yay.)

Our options are as follows.

1- to say no more diagnostics, let’s just see how she does,
2- try Marquis (or one of the other treatment medications) for a few months and see how she does,
3- do a myelogram, EPM titers, ultrasound the left hind leg, specialist referral, etc, as needed to continue working up her case and try to find a diagnosis and pursue treatment once a diagnosis is found.

Options 2 and 3 are going to require $$$ and at this point we're over $7,000 in vet treatments alone. Hell, #3 alone is going to cost at least $5,000.

It's just a matter of balancing what we can afford, with what is best for Denali. After emptying your bank account twice, it gets frustrating, but a happy frustration. To think, I was going to cut her tail off on Thursday night because I wasn't sure that I would be able to do it on Friday. She'd be SO mad at me right now if I would have done that.

I still can't get over the fact that if it hadn't snowed, she'd be gone. Still taking it a day at a time. Maybe I should change the name of this blog to "As Denali's World Turns." She provides enough drama to have her own TV show.

11 comments:

achieve1dream said...

Yeah poor baby would have been pissed without a tail lol. All the signs point to definitely trying to find out what is going on and keeping her alive. As far as the money only you can really make that decision. If money were no problem we know what you would do for her because you are so dedicated to getting her better.

With my limited knowledge of her actual case I would want to do the EPM test to see if this is a flare up. I know the treatment for it is so expensive though. If EPM is like tick diseases (which I have no clue if it is) then it would never leave and would have flare up. Both of my dogs have Ehrlichia (tick disease and yes I use tick protection on them) and it is something I have to always be on the lookout for because any decline in their immune system can cause a flare up. Good luck!!

allhorsestuff said...

Hi there you dear!
Wow, what a ride, and a real curve for decisions. I surly do not have anything to offer aside from CONSTANT prayers for your heart and mind+ Denali.(which brings me over here....)....

I HAD to come by to tell you that...while I was over in the Netherlands just now..following up a comment, my "word veri" word was- "DENALI"- I kid you not.. my husband was in the room and we both prayed for her and your times.

Paigley said...

i was bored and i felt really sorry for denali so i made her a fan video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jILXOIqtcy8

i hope you like it!! :)

Joanne (Jo) L. Belasco, Esq. said...

The person I mentioned who has an EPM (probably as there was never a definitive diagnosis) suggested the Marquis. Her horse also got high doses of Vit E in it's most pure and bioavailable form. She also said the EPM never truly goes away, so it is something that is lifelong.

Keeping good thoughts for you and Denali!

Mrs Mom said...

Well, hang in there. Listen to Denali, and listen to your gut. Seems like right now that is all you really *CAN* do.

Pulling for you guys!

Amanda said...

What a decision you have coming up! But it is better than the decision you were making before! =) This one requires keeping her better not letting her go!

I have no knowledge of EPM, and know basically nothing but if it was me, I would start as easy(and cheap) as possible and progress from there. I would give her a little while to heal(more mentally than anything) before I started any kid of treatment. But like I said that is going off of having no knowledge of EPM.

You will figure out what is right for her and you =) I am also glad you didnt cut her tail off on Thursday and that it snowed! God works in mysterious ways!

Dom said...

I've had a lot of success with Marquis (more so than with any other brand of EPM medication). It's worth a try. I keep checking back to hear the latest. Fingers crossed.

Slbaldwin said...

Hello Ma'am,
I find myself constantly checking your blog daily for updates on your days!

I am sure Denali would have wondered why you chopped off her tail xD

Not sure what else to say other than stay strong you are doing a great job :)

Sydney_bitless said...

Yeah I bet she would be miffed without that swatter.

Listen if you still want something made you don't have to take her whole tail. A very little bit can make a lot and you can't even tell it's taken from. Make sure you take from the center of her tail.

Frizzle said...

I guess you'll just have to live minute-by-minute. But she's here now, and doing well, so try to be thankful for that (although I'm sure this has wreaked havoc on your emotional well-being!).

Regarding the vitamin E comment -- when and if you do start giving it to her, YES, make sure it is natural vitamin E. My dad (cancer/AIDS researcher mad scientist guy) always told me to buy the vitamin e that says "d-alpha" NOT "dl-alpha" on the ingredients. Usually, the bottle that is "d-alpha" also says something like "all-natural" on the front, too. The non-natural (lab-made, I guess) dl-alpha vitamin e can not all be absorbed by your body. I'm guessing it's the same with horses. Ya don't want to be paying a lot of $$ for something that she can't absorb.

Nest time ya see Denali, give her a hug from all of us!

Miles On Miles said...

Seriously, I don't know how you're able to even function and write coherently right now! What you have been through...it doesn't get much more crazy.

Nevertheless, your mare is STILL with you and for now doing well. She has so many people rooting for her!! Go Team D!